27 JUNE 1985: THE DAY A KNIGHT FELL UNDER THE SPELL – THE PRINCE AND PRINCESS OF WALES VISIT The BOSWORTH BATTLEFIELD SITE ON ITS 500TH ANNIVERSARY

image imageThe nation’s sweetheart Princess Diana accompanied her husband Prince Charles on a tour of Bosworth Battlefield Visitor Centre near Sutton Cheney on Thursday, June 27, 1985 to mark the 500th anniversary of the Battle of Bosworth.

image

They visited the Bosworth Battlefield site on the 500th Anniversary of the actual battle. The royal couple had wanted to see the site of the skirmish in which King Richard III was killed and the crown passed to Henry Tudor.
imageOn a windy day in June 1985 crowds gathered and Union Jacks fluttered to see the pair who had married just four years earlier tour the countryside battlefield site in an open-topped vehicle.
imageimage

imageimageimageThey were also treated to a re-enactment of the decisive battle that ended the Wars of the Roses in 1485.
imageA plaque unveiled by their royal highnesses remains at the visitor centre today although the site of the battle has since been discovered to be a bit further away, in an unmarked field off the Fen Lane.
imageimagePrince Charles refused to take sides during the battle re-enactment and wore a yellow rose on his lapel. They were later whisked off to Loughborough where Diana shopped at a Dr. Barnardo’s charity shop while Prince Charles attended a tree planting ceremony.
imageTheir visit also coincided with the 600th anniversary of St. Mary’s Church in Warwickshire. The royal couple visited Atherstone’s Festival Exhibition at the church after arriving at the train station, above. Huge crowds turned out to meet them.
image image imageimageimage image imageimageimage

Advertisements
THAT GORGEOUS JEWELLED VERSACE GOWN WORN BY PRINCESS DIANA FOR A PHOTO SHOOT IN 1991 SELLS IN THE USA FOR $200,000!!

THAT GORGEOUS JEWELLED VERSACE GOWN WORN BY PRINCESS DIANA FOR A PHOTO SHOOT IN 1991 SELLS IN THE USA FOR $200,000!!

imageThe embellished Gianni Versace gown worn by Princess Diana, above, in a 1991 photo shoot by her official photographer Patrick Demarchelier.  The images of Diana wearing the gown were used on the cover of the November 1997 “Harper’s Bazaar Diana A Tribute to a Princess” issue and in “Diana: The Portrait” by Rosalind Coward. The figure-hugging shimmering blue-green silk gown with a décolletage neckline is embellished with gold tone studs and pyramids, and encased faceted glass in shades of blue topaz, aqua marine, and white in a geometric and swirled motif. The interior is silk lined with hand finishing and an Atelier Versace label. Atelier Versace is the Haute Couture line of The House of Versace and indicates one-of-a-kind pieces. The gown was acquired directly from Versace as being worn by Princess Diana and was originally on a hanger that read “Lady Diana.” Reportedly this is the first gown Gianni Versace designed for Princess Diana. It was sold accompanied by a copy of the magazine.

imageThe exquisite piece – which is thought to be the first dress Donatella’s brother Gianni Versace crafted for Diana – went up for auction on 26 June in Beverly Hills, California…with an eye-watering minimum price tag.
imageBidders were invited to place offers starting at $30,000, but it was already estimated that it would sell for between $60,000 – $80,000. imageDiana’s Versace floor-sweeping maxi was sold by Julien’s Auctions, a company based in Beverly Hills that specialises in selling items from some biggest stars in history. And it’s not the first time the dress has been in the public eye since the death of Prince William and Harry’s mum in Paris on 31 August 1997.
imageIt was displayed at the the Versace exhibition at London’s Victoria & Albert Museum back in 2002. The event celebrated the career of Gianni from 1946 – 1997.
image 
image

imageOther Versace gowns famously worn by Princess Diana: imageimageimageimage

OUR PRINCESSDIANABOOKBOUTIQUE.COM WEBSITE IS DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE

We apologize, but our book boutique website is presently down for maintenance.  If you wish to purchase an item please contact us via the blog or via email: pmint1@hotmail.com.  We will be happy to assist you!

We will let you know when it is back up and will post an announcement on the blog.   We send a huge thank you to all our numerous new followers and customers!  Thank you!!

We also run an Ebay store if you wish to purchase or browse there:

http://stores.ebay.com/Princess-Diana-Book-Boutique?_rdc=1

image

30 JUNE 1988 PRINCESS DIANA OPENS A NEW FISH MARKET DURING A VISIT TO NEWLYN, CORNWALL

30 JUNE 1988 PRINCESS DIANA OPENS A NEW FISH MARKET DURING A VISIT TO NEWLYN, CORNWALL

imageMatt Harvey of Harvey & Sons Crab Dealers, shows Princess Diana a crab specimen on her visit to the new fish market at Newlyn, Cornwall, Thursday, June 30, 1988.
imageimage

The Princess opened the present fish market near the 90m extension to the Mary Williams Pier which provided more facilities than the fishermen had ever been treated to before.
imageThe building included a canopy on the quayside to provide shelter from sun and rain during fish landing operations, powered lift platforms to assist in loading fish out of the market and an exclusive area for the maintenance of fishing nets.
image image

Trawl Quay, Newlyn c.1906

Trawl Quay, Newlyn c.1906

The history of the trade in Newlyn started before the first fish market was built when fish sales took place on the beach as seen above. Some of the catch would go straight to the station at Penzance, where it would be transported to London and other centres. Other buyers at the early fish stalls would have been the smaller traders, the fishwives, and jousters who hawked the fish around the villages.
imageIn 1888 things started to change and the sale of fish was moved up from the beach to space at the landward end of the new North Pier by the Admiralty boathouse. This space was not enclosed and was supposed to be a temporary measure awaiting the construction of a more sophisticated trawl fish quay, fish market and jetty, with a roadway on the reclaimed area behind.
imageBut the cost of this scheme was high and several years passed before the people in favour of the idea got their way. Work on the building began in 1907 and was fully completed in February 1908. It would be another 80 years before the position of the market changed again.
imageimageThe same day, the Princess visited Truro and opened the new Truro Renal Dialysis Unit at the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske. Patients were first dialysed there in 1988 after the opening. imageimageimage