April 27, 1983: Princess Diana on a walkabout in Otago New Zealand when she attended a luncheon at the Otago Boys High School in Dunedin, New Zealand after the official re-opening by HRH The Prince of Wales.
Otago Boys High School was established in 1863 to provide education for students from Dunedin, Otago and Southland. This remains the central focus for the school today, although students from other parts of New Zealand and overseas are now included on our roll.
The school opened on its present site in Arthur Street in 1885. The Main Tower Block, designed by Mr R A Lawson, has long been regarded as one of the finest pieces of victorian architecture in Dunedin.
Mr. D. J. MacLachlan, Rector from 1963 to 1985, worked tirelessly for the construction of the main teaching block, which now bears his name. Included in his efforts were the preservation and refurbishment of the Main Tower Block, the central feature of which is the Maurice Joel Theatre. New teaching blocks were built on the Arthur Street site and opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1983. The old Assembly Hall was reconstructed as the Theatre and Auditorium. The Prince and Princess toured the library and also the gymnasium as seen in the photo below.
HRH The Prince of Wales, above, re-opens Otago Boys’ High school after a major rebuilding. Dressed in academic robes, he spoke at the re-opening ceremony and called for New Zealanders to have the same respect for the land as Maori and not to copy other countries but to learn from their mistakes. After the ceremony, the Princess unveiled a commemorative plaque and Prince Charles signed the guestbook.
They then attended a celebratory lunch at the school’s auditorium. Princess Diana below with the Rector, Donald MacLachlan.
Later they took a walkabout around Otago and met the large crowds that had turned out to see them.